Friday 15 December 2006

distributed leadership - distributed conference


Day 2 - and we're off already. I'm sat at the back of lecture room 17, in the 'distributed leadership track' of the conference. The team from Exeter are presenting their piece on distributed leadership and I have half an eye on it, half an eye on this blog, and the other half (!) on visioning my own presentation just before the break. I was never good at math, and so it seems something has to give. I'm affraid that this morning it's the current paper that is the looser - sorry Exeter.

One other conception of distributed is 'networked': and I'm pleased to see that stevemac has joined this networked discussion. The speaker in front of me has been given his 2-minute call and is speeding up. What does this say about the patterns of consumption and production of knowledge in this conference, in this traditional staging: I've heard several apologies from speakers these two days, a regret or dissapointment about the process of delivering the paper and not having enough time. I find this interesting, as I do, of course, what it is speakers are saying, don't get me wrong. But I also find the activity of this blog interesting, the conversation I'm having with my brother in Devon right now, via instant messenger, the quality of the interface of the installation software that I'm currently downloading, the Blackberry on my hip that is vibrating. Distraction?; disruption?; lack of attention?; distributed?; distributed attention?;yes and yes. The discussion in front of my has changed to questsions and answers, probing the speaker's notion of distributed leadership.

1 comment:

Dave Medcalf said...

I would like to come back to the friendship concept from yesterday. Distributed leadership is (or so I think) about leadership of dispersed teams through a networking system. How else can you maintain the team environment and leadership required without having a relatiuonship with each of your distributed team with out some form of higher level understanding and a feeling that each is valued and that you value them at a higher worth than their "value" to the comapny. This is the message in SQ.